25 February 2016
Midland & Eastern Railway
Bourn to Kings Lynn.
Earlier Norwich & Spalding and Spalding & Bourn Chronology
|1865||Applied for extension from Bourn to join the Midland Railway near Saxby.
Rejected by Parliament.
|1866||Agreement reached with Great Northern Railway for running powers between Bourn and Stamford via Essendine and for joint working over this route with the Midland Railway.||RM 1898-8|
|23rd July 1866||Royal assent given to Midland & Eastern Railway Act 1866 allowing the Midland & Eastern Railway to take over working the Norwich & Spalding and Spalding & Bourn Railways and to exercise running powers to Peterborough.
The Spalding & Bourn Railway was vested in the Midland & Eastern from this date.
|7th July 1873||Royal assent given to Great Northern Railway (Additional Powers) Act 1873 allowing the purchase of additional lands at Bourn station. The lands to be purchased within 2 years.||Act of Parliament.|
|August 1867||Commenced working the Norwich & Spalding Railway which retained its separate legal identity.||Warren.|
|1875||Royal assent given to Sutton Bridge Dock Act 1875.||Act of Parliament|
|1876||Royal assent given to Sutton Bridge Dock Act 1876.||Act of Parliament|
|12th July 1877||Royal assent given to Midland & Eastern Railway Act 1877 allowing the Norwich & Spalding and Spalding & Bourn Railways to be vested in the Midland & Eastern Railway Act from 1 July 1877.||Warren.|
|29th June 1880||Royal assent given to Sutton Bridge Dock Act 1880 which notes the following:
|Act of Parliament|
|6th August 1880||Royal assent given to Great Northern Railway Act which authorised opening of additional lines at Spalding and closure of Steppingstone Lane Crossing at Spalding.
Footbridges to erected at Bourn Road Crossing and just north of Steppingstone Lane.
Note: Bourn Road Crossing later renamed Winsover Road Crossing.
|Act of Parliament|
|9th October 1880||Spalding to Holbeach closed due to severe flooding of the South Lincolnshire Fens.||RM 1898-8|
|2nd February 1881||Spalding to Holbeach reopened following severe flooding of the South Lincolnshire Fens.||RM 1898-8|
|30th June 1883||Last day of independent existence.||Eastern & Midlands Act 1882.|